The Middle Layer is where I live...in-between the extremes, without a label that fits.

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The Anxiety Monster and its Dysfunctional Family



I wish I knew the exact quote and its source, but I remember reading a saying of sort that guilt is the incestuous cousin of anxiety and depression. You feel bad because neither anxiety nor depression is a good feeling, right? And then you feel bad for acknowledging that you feel bad and can’t participate fully in life. It’s an ugly duo of nastiness that just fuels the fire.

My earliest bouts with depression hit me around the same time as puberty. I was in the sixth grade and found myself so lacking in energy that I was coming home after school and collapsing at the bottom of the stairs, unable to make it to my room. The normal physical education my classmates took part in left me breathless and dizzy on a regular basis. I was not medically overweight despite being one of the few girls in my class to tip the scale in the triple digits at 115 pounds and 5’2”. They ran tests on my heart as I was born with a very slight heart murmur and they thought maybe it had gotten worse and not better. They did an ultrasound of my chest and determined that I had outgrown the murmur and there was no physical reason I should be so tired. My pediatrician decided I was depressed and gave me an antidepressant. I remember thinking the guy was a “quack,” and even referred to him as Dr. Quack in my journals. I also remember that I took the pills for exactly three days. They gave me cotton mouth and made me the bitchiest little thing on two legs. At the ripe, old age of 11, I knew enough to know that I didn’t like it and simply tossed the bottle.

As my menstrual cycles kicked in, so did the dramatic mood swings. Anyone that said PMDD is just an excuse to give psyche meds to chicks never lived with me. I ran the gamut from crying bouts to cleaning binges with a few failed attempts to paint my bedroom that started out as cleaning binges and ended in crying bouts. My father looked at the foods I was making and cautiously asked once if I was pregnant. Birth control pills helped, but I spent most of my adult life completely insane for at least one week out of the month. I was on some form of a birth control pill up until age 28 when I had a partial hysterectomy.

The doctor that so graciously removed my uterus was the first to prescribe Prozac to me. Initially he offered it to ease my PMDD and later told me that I was not emotionally stable enough for surgery when he first saw me or he would have done the hysterectomy sooner. Prozac worked without numbing me down like other meds I was given over the years. Unlike the other meds that I would try for a couple weeks then throw away; I stayed on Prozac for around 3 years. I weaned myself off of it after The ExH and I separated so I’d be able to go without once my health insurance was gone.

Less than a year after I’d gone off Prozac I met Depression’s ugly sister, Anxiety. I started having panic attacks that turned into violent crying fits and ended with me curled up in the fetal position. There were certain triggers I learned to recognize. Of all the normal life things, grocery shopping was the hardest thing for me to do. During most of the 18 months I was with Moose, he had to do the shopping because I couldn’t even pull into the parking lot at Wal-Mart without falling apart. Other situations would come up and I’d find myself running from wherever we were at and hiding in the car. It was embarrassing, scary and made worse by the generally stressed out life I was living. I was still without health insurance, but I had become friends with a group of people who tended to stray from traditional medicine in favor of holistic remedies and herbalism.  One friend in particular, a medically retired Vet with debilitating PTSD gave me a Happy Camper one day and told me where to buy them. She swore by them and never left the house without a couple in her belly and her service animal beside her.

Last year when I met The Mr., I was on my own and doing better than I had in years. I was training a class at the call center I’d been at for around a year. My income was comfortable, even when my high heels weren’t. I’d learned to take a Happy Camper before grocery shopping, and carried them in my bag for unexpected panic attacks. Generally, things were smooth. The work stuff was stressful, but I was in a place where I commanded the room and saved my crying for the quiet moments when I was alone in my classroom doing time critical reports making over-time pay. Until the day I couldn’t.

Maybe it was the corporate Big Wigs that were sitting in on my class. Maybe it was the Taco Thursday turning my insides over while I tried to lecture. Maybe I was ovulating. Whatever the reason, I found myself starting to break out in a cold sweat. As I walked the aisle of the room, stars were flashing before me. I felt nauseous and short of breath. I tapped my assistant and told him I needed a minute and asked him to pick up where I was in the slide show. Before I could make it down the hall to the bathroom I started crying hysterically. I was having a major panic attack at work with only a small 2-stall unisex bathroom to run to. Inside the stall I crouched down on my heels and shook and cried for a good 10 minutes. Of course someone that knew me came in just as I was coming out and attempting to clean myself up. I played it off as a stomach issue so they would think I had been vomiting and not crying. I went back to the classroom and wasn’t in the door 2 minutes before it hit me again and I had to go running. Again when asked if I was okay, I alluded to digestive issues and was asked if I was pregnant.  That was the day I started carrying a larger stash of Happy Campers.

Since the move out East I’ve seen an increase in anxiety over all. Working from home has turned me into even more of a hermit than ever, creeping into the realm of agoraphobia. Just the idea of leaving the house when my mood is off can send me spiraling. The Mr. is the type that can’t stay home for days on end, and gets cabin fever after only one day off work. We are so enmeshed in each other that our moods sometimes feed each other and we have been known to play ‘pass the crazy ball’ back and forth several times in a day. He understands when I’m having trouble and is quick to bring me a Happy Camper and remind me to eat breakfast before the caffeine winds me up. He is good about holding my hand and not leaving me alone in public places when possible. He also takes Happy Campers when he finds himself having a case of the crazies. He truly understands what happens with me because it happens to him sometimes in his own way. But the guilt of it still gets to me.

I feel guilty for being crazy. I feel bad for needing pills, even if they are herbal. I feel like I’m holding him back from doing things he would enjoy that would likely cause me to have a meltdown. I push through as much of it as I can, but there have been times where we’ve gone somewhere and I’ve just needed to leave.

Today was a family event at his work. He wanted me to come, but knew that between the number of people and the environment it was likely to cause anxiety for me. He asked about it a couple times in a non-pushy way, giving me the option. When he left this morning we talked about it again. I was considering pushing myself, taking a Happy Camper and getting dressed. He said to me, “It’s okay. You would just get pretty to be surrounded by people you don’t know and be outside for several hours while worrying about getting home in time for work.” He meant it when he said it was okay for me to stay home today, but the incestuous cousin to my Anxiety Monster has been hanging around all day.

And in the end, he got tasked with a project, blew off the "Mandatory Fun Day" event and was home by lunch time to start his long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment