The Middle Layer is where I live...in-between the extremes, without a label that fits.

Friday, June 7, 2013

Get Out (Poem)

I need to get out
Out of my brain
where the Crazy spins relentlessly like a hamster in a squeaky wheel
Consistent enough to ignore until all at once it has ground so deep into my consciousness that screaming louder is the only way to drown it out

I need to get out
Out of these four walls
where I eat too much,sleep too much
and mope around like a bra-less ghost between whisper tones, name-calling, entitled assholes tossing around their spending habits as though that were reason enough that I should feel less-than

I need to get out
Out of my skin
where I ache all over and pinch my tummy chub
lamenting the back fat that crept up on me years ago, and despite my persistent denial, still clings to my shoulder blades like unwelcome parasites

I need to get out
Out of this rut I've become calling my life
where I hate my job, love my husband
and can't seem to figure out how to push past the fear of change into a better place where once again I will wear eyeliner daily and maybe, just maybe, find a way
to earn a paycheck without being emotionally abused to the point where
all I want is to get OUT

No comments:

Post a Comment